Decor, Renovation

Ready. Steady. Go!

And we’re off! The first week back to work at Number 18 has started with lightening speed! But first I’ll rewind a little as I’ve missed out some progress that was made before Christmas. All of which was intended for far more detailed individual posts, so please forgive me.

image

The plumber returned to fit the boiler and hung the radiators upstairs. We are having a system boiler setup and the plumber will be returning again shortly to install the stand alone tank. We also chose the last lot of tiles which will be going on our kitchen and utility floor. We managed to get a bargain at £11 per square metre, so they didn’t break the bank!

image

Even with Dan working so carefully trying to hack off around the corbels and arch, it all came crashing down around him – not a good day at Number 18. For a split second pushing him off the ladder crossed my mind, I won’t lie. So after the plastering was completed Kayvic, a local plaster work manufacturer, fitted new corbels. We also attached a moulding to the arch to try and recreate what was there before.

image

At the same time, Kayvic repaired the cornicing in our lounge, dining room and a small section in the hall. Above is a picture of the cornicing before the repairs. It now requires a bead adding to it and once that’s been done I’ll share some more snaps. The cornicing isn’t the same in all of the rooms. The most ornate is in the lounge, and it’s this cornicing that we had a moulding taken of so that we could replicate it throughout the house.

imageimageimage

Ok. So now I’ve brought you up to speed (I hope there isn’t anything I’ve left out), I’ll share what progress has been made over the last week. We’ve had both the tiler start and Kayvic back to put cornicing up on the ceilings in our kitchen, utility and hall landing. We will eventually put the cornicing up in all of the bedrooms upstairs. However, it’s not the cheapest and currently the savings pot won’t allow for bedrooms as well.

imageimage

Now. On to the tiling, which is actually progressing really well. The tiler has been at the Casa for three days this week. So far he’s done a fantastic job and I’m looking forward to seeing the downstairs shower room finished. I know I say how exciting all of this is alot, but it really is. I love to see my home taking shape just how I’ve always dreamt it.

 

Standard
Renovation

Plaster Prep

So I promised I wouldn’t let wedding planning completely take over, and I guess it kind of has. Two months have passed and I’ve not written a thing about Number 18. Perhaps I’m not cut out for blogging. Or perhaps I’ve bitten off more than I can chew!? I guess we don’t do things by halves – renovating and planning a wedding. However, the dress has now been purchased and that’s a big tick off the wedding to do list. Maybe it’ll mean more time for blogging, we shall see. So to bring you up to date with the goings on at Number 18, I’ve got some pics together and managed to put fingers to keyboard.

 

imageimage

I’ve already posted about the electrics, that’s all done. Well, except for the minor incident where I changed my mind on the location of the bed in the master bedroom. As there were no power points on this wall for bedside lamps, Dan had to sort this very quickly – days before the plasters were due to start. I mentioned it a few weeks ago that I thought we’d made a mistake, or at least were silly to have not given ourselves the option of where to put the bed. Dan reminded me of how I had told him that I definitely did not want to put the bed on any other wall. I sensed his frustration and thought I’d better shut up. I put it to the back of my mind, and then got increasingly panicky as the plastering drew closer and closer. My worry regarding our lack of options quickly changed to a realisation I no longer wanted the bed where we originally decided it should go. With boards still to go up and the house needing tidying from top to bottom to allow the plasterers room to work (we had all sorts of crap everywhere!), you can imagine the reaction when two days before plastering I told Dan he had to sort the socket situation. Perhaps I shouldn’t talk about this – Dan will read this and be reminded. I’m in enough trouble over it as it is… moving swiftly on.

imageimage

The first fix plumbing has been completed now too, with a lot of the work already having been completed for the showers as the pipe work is going to be hidden in the wall. The above photo on the left is of our downstairs shower room where the shower head will be fixed to ceiling. We also have wall boxes which I think make for great storage solutions – so there’ll be no shampoo bottles on the floor of the shower.

imageimage

Dan has stuffed the ceilings with insulation. I’m hoping the house is going to be warm as I’m such a freezer!! After hiring a plasterboard lift, Dan has also finished boarding the ceilings and the next job is plastering – stay tuned!

 

Standard