As we progressed through the project we were learning all sorts of things about the construction of Number 18. Our neighbour has also helped us with this as her property has been featured on a tv restoration programme which involved a researcher looking into the history of her home.
Reception room two, which we believe was the parlour, would have been used for all sorts of social functions. In this room one of the outside walls is constructed in stone and not brick. This room is always cold, the coldest in the house in fact and apparently this is on purpose. The reason for this being, this is the room where the body of the recently deceased would have been kept prior to the funeral. Our neighbour informed us that once we removed the render that this particular wall would be stone, and to our surprise she was right.
We have also learned that Number 18s construction began in 1905. The house was progressed to ground level and as it has no proper foundations, was then left to settle for two years. It was then taken to roof level and completed in 1907.
The house was very cold through the winter months and you could feel the draft coming through the floor boards. Our next job was to remove the joists supporting the suspended floors at the front of the property and dig out the concrete floors to the same level at the back of the property. All of this was in preparation for putting the floors back with damp proofing and lots of insulation