Renovation

A flying start to 2013…

Amongst doing various other jobs, we started off the new year by taking down ceilings and taking up floor boards. This exposed many rotten timbers which had to be removed and replaced.

Then, within a few months our carpenter started work on the frame for the partition wall in the attic to close off our attic space from our next door neighbour. The carpenter boarded either side of the frame with fire-proof boards and stuffed the cavity with insulation.

Shortly after our carpenter started, work then began on the roof. The roof was leaking and day light could be seen through some parts where some tiles had slipped. The roof was in its original state and therefore had no felt. Thankfully the slates were in good condition and could be re-used.

The photos below are of the work undertaken in the attic space and the roof.

image

image

image

image

image

image

Standard
Renovation

Let’s get some work underway!

Over the next few weeks leading up to Christmas (2012) we worked intensively on the house. We tore out the hideous mustard yellow bath suite, ripped down the flimsy wall separating the toilet from the bathroom and stripped the kitchen of what units remained. Wallpaper throughout the house was easily pulled off the walls due to the rising and penetrating damp. Bags and bags of polystyrene ceiling tiles were binned. We knocked down a wall between reception room three and what was a servants corridor, to make more space for what would be the kitchen. We took up all of the carpets and yet the ‘old’ smell lingered for weeks afterwards, no matter how much Febreeze I sprayed!

Hall

imageimage

imageimage

Bathroom

imageimage

imageimage

Lounge

image

Dining room

image

Kitchen

image

imageimage

image

Master bedroom

image

The next job was to hack off and expose the brick work for damp proofing treatment. This had to be done right the way through the downstairs of the property. We started by taking off the required one metre of render, but due to the state of the walls from the damp, we eventually ended up removing all of the render throughout the entire property!

Photos below are from the first phases of removing the render…

image

image

Standard
Renovation

And so it begins…

On the 12 October 2012 we collected the keys from the estate agents. I can remember how nervous and excited I felt. We drove to the house, spent some time wandering around taking pictures and tried to take it all in. We were however distracted with visitors and too many celebratory glasses of fizz to really contemplate what we had just committed ourselves to. Number 18 was going to be a project indeed.
Here are some snaps from the day we got the keys, before we got to work.
Reception room 1 – Lounge
Lounge
You can can see how damp the walls are – the wallpaper is peeling off!
Reception room 2 – Dining room
Dining room
Reception room 3 – will be the kitchen
Reception room 3 - kitchen
Kitchen – will be turned into a utility roomKitchen - utility
Stairs in the hall
Stairs
Landing
Landing
Master bedroom
Master bedroom
Bedroom 2
Bedroom 2
Bedroom 3
Bedroom 3
Separate bathroom and toilet
Bathroom - bath Bathroom - sink Toilet room
Standard
Babble

So I decide to start blogging…

Over 12 months after picking up the keys for Number 18 and after reading many other renovation blogs, I suddenly thought I should put pen to paper (so to speak) about my own project.

I, along with my partner Dan, collected the keys for our new home on 12 October 2012. Since then the project has progressed well, albeit slowly on occasion. We are now at the stage of re-wiring. Our electrician started yesterday.

I will however rewind to the beginning and post plenty of pictures of what we’ve been doing over the last year and a bit.

Nadine x

Standard